Edie and Israel



The other day I saw on a local Facebook parenting page where a mom was asking about having kids close together. Edith and Israel are 22 months apart, but very developmentally similar. They have always been little sidekicks and Edith often acts like a big sister to him. She'll tell him, "You're NOT scared Israel." or "No, it's not time for ___."




One thing I love is that they are so affectionate with each other. They love to hug and tackle each other. Israel will ask "Snuggle?" to Edith.





Edith brings out Israel's playfulness. Because of her prompting, he has learned to pretend.



I know that Israel is teaching Edith a lot too. I hope that she is going to be more compassionate and thoughtful because of her brother's limitations. She is almost 4, and he is 5.5 years old. At this point we have not had any conversations about why Israel is different -skin color or development- but I know that day is coming soon.



When they are each in their own room for "room time" mid-day (RIP nap time), Israel misses Edith so much. If I get him out first he goes straight to her room to get her. He cannot stand it when Edith is behind a closed door that he's not in.



These kids can also be little meanies and provoke each other. Let's not focus on that though.




Whenever Edith wants a snack she always grabs two, and she will say "Now one for Israel!" when I fix anything for her.



I'm thankful that my kids have each other for many reasons. What sweet gifts! I'm thankful for their friendship and excited that little Annie has two wonderful big siblings.




March 2017 from Rebekah McGee on Vimeo.

Comments