In Your Own Strength?

I recently came to the realization that I was trying to do a lot of things in my own strength. Parenting, coping with some of the changes in our lives, having the energy during pregnancy and raising a toddler, etc. I was continually worn out and felt like I needed "a night off" or time to myself. Even when I DID get that, it never seemed long enough and I always felt at the end of my rope.

That is not a healthy place to be, especially because I was putting myself there. I cannot change some of the tiring circumstances that are in my life season (pregnancy, a child with special needs, being a stay at home mom) but what I CAN change is HOW I persevere in this season.

It may seem overly simple, but the truth was: I wasn't walking in grace. I was relying on my own strength instead of the Holy Spirit to provide the love, patience, kindness, etc that I needed to be gracious to others (mainly my family) and to give me the energy and strength for the moment.

"And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:9-13)

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)

I wish I could say that I have conquered this, and that now that I realize it I'm in a different place completely. The truth is, I must constantly remind myself that I don't have to "do it all" myself. God has done it for me and given me the best gift- His Spirit to walk with.

So whether it is the exhaustion of a long wait for your adoption, the trials of post-adoption, the cabin fever of cocooning, or just the every day life events, I encourage you to remember the gospel. Remember that Christ overcame sin, overcame any petty trials here by death on the cross and His resurrection. All things here on earth are simply meant to mature us and shape us like Christ. Be encouraged, ladies, that we don't have to walk in our own strength! God has given us everything we need, and when we don't feel it, we can rest in the hope of Christ and what He has done.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." (James 1:2-5)

"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,  and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,  and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." (Romans 5:1-5)

Comments

  1. Thanks for a great post. I'm a little late reading it but I had a feeling it was what I needed to hear. I am really enjoying your Blog. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I like to reply via email so make sure your email is connected to your Blogger account!