Ode to My Gym

Back when we moved to NYC in 2015, I joined an all-women's gym called Lucille Roberts. I went until mid-pregnancy with Annie in 2016, when I was told to be on modified bedrest including no lifting. Fast forward...uh.. years, and this fall 2019 I finally re-joined the gym. After about a year and a half of half-hearted exercising at home and doing some irregular modified healthy eating, I feel like I am in a healthy place right now.

First of all, my husband Will is in a very fit shape right now. He's been going to a track club and he is super careful about what he puts in his body. It makes me really aware of what I am eating. As I am now in my thirties, I understand that I should limit my dairy intake and save halloween candy for special treats instead of daily treat-yo-self. I switched out my coffee creamers and I haven't had a soda in forever.

But, my gym. I love my gym. First of all, it is all women. It just feels safe to be there. The classes are tough, and the Zumba makes me smile it is a lot of fun and I always drip sweat. There's a great childcare room for Annie and it is a welcome break for me with her. Also, I'm walking .75 miles there and then another .75 miles back (it's about 13 blocks from my apartment) so I know that I am getting a decent workout in no matter what. I usually run some kind of errands on the route.

I love that there is so much diversity. Asian, Muslim, Russian, etc etc. Some women are Jewish and cover their heads, other women are Muslim and cover their head/arms. If there is a maintenance man in the building, then there are announcements so women will have a chance to cover up. I love that I get to just exercise and be in the same place with women who are so unlike me and I have no common ground with. I overhear many people having conversations in foreign languages, and the childcare workers are often Arabic speaking to the little Arabic kids. I love that I am reminded of the beautiful diversity of my neighborhood, and that Annie is already being exposed to it too.

So here I am, on my "fitness journey" trying to be strong because I have to be. As of right now, Israel is 80 pounds, and I have to lift him regularly. I have to do hard things and there's a lot that is physically required of me. I NEED to be healthy and strong. So, back to the gym I go. Not to lose weight per se, but to just be healthy because it is a good thing. I can have self-control, drink smoothies and say no to carbs not because it makes me better, but because using self-control as a discipline is a good thing and it can be a spiritual thing! Just as I say no and yes to some things, I also do that with my time. I limit TV intake and increase book and bible reading. I take the time to know my neighbors and work towards goals.

So, I'm thankful today for my gym and this newfound sense of drive!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I like to reply via email so make sure your email is connected to your Blogger account!