Twenty-Six!

Last Monday, I turned 26.

You know when you're younger and you dream up the "perfect age" of where you think you'll peak? Well, I always thought it was 26. I figured you're still young enough to be cool, but you have experienced some life to where you're not an idiot. So here I am, at my peak.

 The past 26 years can be summed up in two words: UNDESERVED GRACE. I can list off so many things that are gifts that I just cannot explain why they are mine. In 26 years, I have traveled to Peru, Mexico, Ethiopia, Israel, Egypt, St. Lucia, and several parts of the US. I graduated from an amazing university (War Eagle!) in under four years, worked several years, using my degree, married young, adopted the most amazing little boy, became pregnant with my second child- a daughter, applied and was accepted into graduate school, had an amazing and supportive family, learned a new skill (sewing) and made money doing it. I lived in six cities, had a car for my own personal use for ten years, worked in various jobs such as ice cream scooping, receptionist, social worker, tutor, retail assistant, babysitter and mom.

Whew. You see, lots of amazing, undeserved gifts. I think it is healthy to reflect and see just how faithful and generous God has been to us. I can't believe that I am just 26 and have so many happy memories.

But in true transparency, I have not always been grateful for those things. I've resented jobs, hated faulty cars, took for granted my education, wasted money, longed for more, longed for the past, had my heart broken and chosen to be bitter, made good things into idols. It is so easy and tempting to turn blessings into something else.

So the biggest thing I'm thankful for for in my 26 years is Jesus. I'm so thankful that I was taught at a young age that my righteousness is not dependent on who I am or what I have done, but on who Jesus is. I look back on the mistakes I made and the sin I have fallen into and I can see that Christ's blood covered it for me on the cross. I'm thankful that at 26 years, I am more aware of the gospel than I've ever been, yet I know that I'm only scratching the surface of knowledge of who God is and what He has done for me.

So... looking ahead? I hope that I see the opportunities that come and those that pass, the good days and hard days, and the consequences of living in a fallen world.. and see grace. I hope that I see God's faithfulness as a running theme of my life and that I will be able to look back at 36, 56, 86, and say... God was good. I was not, but he was always good.

Comments

  1. LOVE this! Thanks for your perspective and heart- what an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. Such a great perspective. Thank you for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I like to reply via email so make sure your email is connected to your Blogger account!