Work



I've been working since mid-November. I work with a little boy named Y--, who is just about to turn 2 and has autism. We work on his behavior and vocabulary and it is amazing to see how he has progressed and his attention span has lengthened in just a few months. He's a really sweet boy.

I only work with him 2-3 times a week, for an hour each.

I also have a client who is a mom of 2 special needs kids, I see her 2x a month. That case tends to take more emotional energy and preparation.

I don't like the paperwork aspect of my job - I keep having to redo paperwork and feel unsupported overall by my agency. It is such a Lone Ranger job - you don't know who to talk to about your questions or who else is also working on the case. I don't really like that.

I applied to another job as an adoption consultant and I'm waiting to hear back from that. I really like that even though I'm only working very part time (and basically making only a few dollars per hour after babysitter/tithe) - at least I'm getting out of the house, using my skills, and contributing to the redemption process of two families. I really love that. I like being able to leave my kids and be Rebekah McGee, LMSW sometimes. I like feeling like I have expertise on something and that I can help others.

I've also been able to use my counseling skills in conversations with others and it just fills my tank to be able to pour out into others.

So this new season, I'm still a SAHM but getting to do a little bit - it has been nice. Definitely an adjustment and some inconveniences, but I'm really thankful for it. 

Comments