Working Mom

This year I joined the ranks of working mothers. I am doing a part-time internship at a Christian foster care agency. The kids go to school Mondays and Thursdays, and I work on those days from 8-4. I also work on Tuesday nights for our foster care GPS training, and on occasional Fridays (Will's off day) so he can keep the kids without paying for childcare. My agency has also provided opportunities for me to work on certain projects from home, so I'm getting some hours in there as well.

The MSW internship through the University of Alabama requires that I complete 500 hours. I'm almost to the half-way point. Although I'll be finished with my two classes (chemical dependency and psychopathology) at the end of April, I won't be done with my internship until mid-summer, and I'll graduate in August.

I'll be honest- I have gained so much respect for full-time working moms. It has been a really hard semester juggling school, work, therapy, doctor visits, ministry, and taking time for our marriage. Honestly, I feel like I'm doing most things sub-par most of the time. There are things I want to do in my "spare time" that never happen. I feel accomplished to get a shower in several times a week!

I read a blog recently about working moms and it was really encouraging to me. It was saying that we see working moms everywhere and I've noticed that we have interacted with so many working moms- our therapists, social workers, nurses, doctors. I'm not alone in this juggling act. So many moms have done this and survived!

When my masters is done, I hope to work part-time writing homestudies for families. Thankfully, I'm getting the opportunity to practice this skill right now by writing a homestudy for a prospective foster family. It has been exciting and rewarding for me, and I know that this is something that I want to do as a profession. I look forward to gaining more skills that tie in my passions and my profession. There are days where I get overwhelmed by the to-do list in my life, but when I look at my kids I know that this will be worth it. I look at Israel and I know that I will be involved in the process of more little ones getting into families, and that makes me hopeful and able to persevere. God is faithful always and I love that He is continually revealing to me how our story is going to come together. Adopting again may not be the next step for our family, but I look forward to continuing in the work of adoption for other families in the meantime.

Comments