Feeling Overwhelmed, Need to Look UP!

This is a very busy month. I know that I am not alone in this, most people will admit to feeling busy during the last months of the year. There's parent conferences, holiday things, church events, and work. Lots of deadlines and an upcoming major trip are hanging over my head and filling my brain with random thoughts that I want to add to a spreadsheet or list. In my thirties I have learned that I love to document things, and I love to feel the sense of control that comes with at least writing things down. I know that although I haven't tacked this particular project or task, I know it is coming and that there are clear steps to take.

A lot of how I manage being overwhelmed is through perceived control. If only I can muster enough strength, be completely organized (this is laughable guys if you saw my apartment) or have the calendar completely mapped out and color coded, then the next few weeks will run smoothly and I won't end up in stress hives. This all points to ME. As if I am the controller of the weather or the one keeping my children from the rogue colds or random variables that challenge my perceived control. I am not in control! I am a manager of the chaos and although God has asked me to run my race well, there is no way that I can excellently manage every little thing and not hand off things to others. I have been trying to delegate to others and even that is hard for me, because I don't want to burden others, and I wonder if they will get it just right. It's an awful feeling to think that the happiness of my  family, my clients, our church women's ministry etc etc is in my hands. And the worst part of this burden is that it has not been placed on my shoulders anyway!

Two thoughts on this day in the midst of an overwhelming month.

1. God has provided a community to help me. 

 In Numbers 11, Moses was in charge of leading the Israelites in the wilderness as they were awaiting the Promised Land. He was overwhelmed with his responsibilities. He said: “I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me” (Numbers 11:14). God responded by appointing several elders to help him. He said “I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take of the Spirit that is on you and put the Spirit on them. They will help you carry the burden of the people so that you will not have to carry it alone” (Numbers 11:17).  

There are so many people in my corner who will pray for me, help me, take on my burdens. But I have to come to the Lord and ask for help, I have to give up my perceived control!

2. God Himself will finish whatever tasks are ordained for me to accomplish. I cannot boast in my own strength because I am so very weak. 

"Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The Lord your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the desert. There ou saw how the Lord your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place." Deuteronomy 1:29-31.

If I am going to rely on the strength of the Lord, I must be aware of His character. I must remember what he has already done through the scriptures and also in my life. I have never had control, I have never been enough. I must know God and look to him, because He will help me!


So if you are with me and feeling overwhelmed by what is on your task list, I pray that we will together seek first the Lord and know that all the things that we need will be added to us. Let us trust that what He says about himself is true.

Comments