NINE years!

Tomorrow we will be married 9 years.

This year marks 10 years together. What a transformative decade! We have grown up, become adults, parents, workers, partners! It's been a beautiful and hard decade.

This past year specifically - I feel like we have gone though hard times but have been chiseled to figure out how to become better partners. I started seeing a therapist when I needed it. I learned how to voice my frustrations in a helpful way so that I didn't shut down, and didn't accuse you. I feel like we found our groove in parenting three kids, and that we have delighted in our children. They are in really fun stages and we are enjoying them and learning how to meet their needs and fill their tanks.

We have learned to take dates when we need it. Sometimes it is like- let's find a sitter TONIGHT, because we need to have face to face time and at home it is too hard to do that. Sometimes we just need someone else to do the bedtime routine!

This year we are learning what fills our tanks and we are busting our butts to do it. WILL! This year you are going to finish your dissertation!! We are carving out time and resources so that you can plow through it and I believe  in you. I feel like you have momentum that has been lacking, and seeing your passion and fruitfulness in this dissertation is encouraging to me. I'm so looking forward to seeing what you can do when this isn't hanging over your head.

For me, I started to work again. You have always, always been a supportive voice - not telling me that I had to do 100% SAHM or that I must return to work. You've been an encourager and helped me have the space to make the choice I need to make and WANT to make. You've never pressured me to be one time of worker or mother and I adore that about you. Going back to work means compromising and that you've had to adjust your life a little bit for me to do this. And I appreciate it. I think me working has given me a little bit of confidence and personal boost that I needed. I didn't realize how "lost" I was feeling, but just having an hour here and there to do something with my skillset, to serve others and be a part of God's redemption process in the lives of our community- that has really blessed me. During job interviews and the questions I've had over what type of work will be good for me, you have always encouraged me and prayed for me. Thank you!

Will, we have been through a lot. Especially since becoming parents, doing ministry, and moving to New York. Yet we are doing it, babe. We are persevering and we are still loving each other well. We are learning to communicate to each other what we need, and to loosen our reigns over control. Thank you for being my life partner. Thank you for choosing me, for investing in me, and for all the ways you make me feel loved and cared for.

I'm so grateful for a decade of your friendship and affection. I pray we have many many many more together.

Yours, Bekah

Comments