Week (and Weekend) Recap!

Week two in NYC was pretty busy and people- filled. Main events:

1. Meeting New(?) Friends. This week I was able to put two real-life faces to internet friends, Emily and Frauke. That was really fun to connect in person with people that I have been following on Instagram and interacting with online for a long time. I also went to a party brunch at a friend's house and met lots of her mom friends. It was a good week with a lot of friend time, but I did have moments of feeling lonely and missing the familiarity of the past.

2. Checking Off To-Do Lists. Will got his license and set up our new bank account. I ordered a Prime Pantry box and I'm getting a better idea of how to handle some of the homemaking things. I've now attempted laundry twice!




3. Exploring the Neighborhood. On Wednesday I drove (stop and appreciate this people- I DROVE and PARKED IN NEW YORK) to meet my friend in another part of Brooklyn at the Third Street Park (Prospect Park). I really liked this park a lot and it was definitely manageable by myself. I really love that the parks here have flat ground that Israel can scoot around on, instead of rocks or grass.




4. Preschool Applications. I woke up last Monday with a heavy weight on my chest because it was the day that round 2 of preschool applications became available. I called and left a few voicemails with the special education department to turn in our IEP materials but wasn't getting anywhere. I decided to march down there and try to talk to someone in person. I was nervous and praying all morning. I was so pleasantly surprised that there were some very helpful, enthusiastic workers there! They were so pleased that I had so many prepared materials from Alabama - updated assessments, clear IEP forms and even a medical referral. They gave me two options for school for Israel and one of them was UCP. We went on Thursday to look at the school, and we have a lot to think about. I'm hopeful that we will have peace about the right decision/ placement soon.



5. Hosting Friends. Thursday - Saturday two of our former #EngageJSU students stayed with us. Josh was in the Middle East for four months on a mission, and his girlfriend came up to surprise him. Josh and Will went out on Thursday night to explore Brooklyn. Friday afternoon we met Josh and Amy for dinner, then Will went with them to a Mets game at Citi Field.



6. Rainy Day. On Saturday it was raining. We had plans to go to the park that afternoon but it was a yucky day. We were feeling a little stir crazy so we took the kids out with their new rain cover on the stroller. We ended up at Dunkin Donuts and I've never seen Edith inhale food that quickly.



7. Crossroads. On Sunday Will finally preached at our new church. Afterwards there was a reception/ picnic for us at Owl's Head Park. It was so fun! We had a great time getting to know some of our church family. Edith took a short nap in the Ergo on the way there, and that was all the nap that any of the McGee kiddos got for the day... but in general, they were great at the park and enjoyed it too!



We are really excited about Crossroads, Bay Ridge, and getting more settled in our new environment. 

Comments